- The Underbelly of Putting Yourself Last: Mental Illness, Stress, and Substance Abuse (March 3, 2014)
The common perception that “toughing out” higher education and all of its demands as a graduate student can lead to self-abusive behaviors.
- Anti-Gay Communities Linked To Shorter Lives: Study (February 24, 2014)
Individuals that identify themselves as sexual minorities within anti-gay communities tend to have shorter lives (12 years shorter in areas with high-stigma communities).
- Health Impacts of Racism ‘Can Lead to Death’ (February 20, 2014)
The link between racism and health is a “sleeper issue” that must be addressed.
- The Surprising Reason Americans Are Far Less Healthy Than Other Developed Nations (August 20, 2013)
It doesn’t stop at just diet and exercise - social aspects of health have to be considered - many of the factors that contribute to health issues themselves originate from stress, which is spurred on by inequality in society.
- There is a Cultural Acceptance around Mental Health Issues in Academia (March 1, 2014)
Mental health services are being ignored by academics, because of the widespread rule that mental health deterioration is a sign of weakness.