- They Forgot Mammy Had A Brain AKA Defending Yourself While A Black Woman In Class (January 22, 2014)
A woman’s experience of being assaulted in class by her subtly racist professor, and what she did about it (and what she suggests others do in her place).
- Lies Your Dissertation Committee Told You (October 11, 2010)
Warnings on how dissertation committees do not necessarily prepare their wards.
- Former Graduate Student’s Gender-Discrimination Case Is Dismissed (December 6, 2013)
A former graduate student sues the University of Oregon for gender bias when she claims that she was retaliated against by not being allowed to complete the program after she complained of gender inequality.
- Uncivilizing the PhD: For A Politics Of Doctoral Experience (December 10, 2013)
Draws parallels between the exclusivity and secrecy (and ultimately the loss of self into the identity of the group) of groups such as the Freemasons and graduate school.
- PhD or ABD? (February 27, 2014)
Here are some tips on finishing that long-dreaded dissertation.
- In Diversity Gap at Michigan Flagship, Signs of a Lost Public Mission (March 3, 2014)
Highlights and explains why the dismal numbers of minority college students at PINO universities (public in name only), like the University of Michigan.